Thursday, March 27, 2014

Two Finishes! One Old, One New

Hello again, quilty people. It's still winter. It's still cold. So I guess it's good that I have not one but two quilty finishes to share today, because I'll be needing a lot of quilts to stay warm. I'm actually cheating a bit, because one of these finishes was completed last summer - but I haven't blogged about it, so it still counts, right? I'm tossing these both into one post because they're both Happy Quilting QAL quilts. If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about (who am I kidding, of course you are), Melissa has hosted several super fun and creative quilt-alongs at her blog, Happy Quilting. I finished the Star Surround quilt last year and gifted it to my mother (where it has been hanging over her headboard because she doesn't want it to get used, lest it gets ruined - argh). So I've just now managed to take pictures of it, after I commandeered her house for the sake of taking pictures. Okay, way too much talk and not enough pictures. Here we go, starting with the most recent finish, my Star Surround quilt (featuring what I had left of my Happy Go Lucky fabric):

I quilted this quilt with a medium density design, using straight lines in the focus block and pebbles in the secondary block.

My best little brother helped me take these shots, but before long we had a visitor - Diesel the Newfoundland dog.

And, of course, what happens when you leave your quilts unattended in a house full of animals? They become a free-for-all at naptime, naturally.

That's it for the debut of this quilt, now onto one more: Star Surround, a 2013 finish.

This quilt was actually my first real go at FMQ, so I went all out. I used one of Leah Day's designs, called wagon wheel, as a background filler, and used straight lines and a flower motif in the block itself. If I had to guess, I'd say there's at least 20 hours quilting time that was put into this small quilt.

That's all I have to share for today - I'm still learning this whole photography thing, so bear with me if these pictures aren't the best. I can't wait for the parade over at Happy Quilting next week. Excited to see everybody's finishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment