Saturday, March 29, 2014

I'm Hoping for Some April Showers, Because it's Still the Middle of Winter Here

Hello out there, blogging abyss! I don't know where you are, but if it's the midwest or even, like me, eastern Canada, you know you haven't seen this much snow in years. It isn't all bad though, of course I've used those bonus snow days to SEW! But I am ready for some warmer weather. There's an ice cream shop opening up across the street from us (and I do mean literally right outside our front door), and I can't wait to get some peanut butter chocolate ice cream and sit in the park and enjoy the summertime!

But in the meantime, what's a girl to do? I think we all know the answer to that. What am I working on today, you ask? Well, let me just show you the goodies I have in front of me...

Yes! That is some gorgeous April Showers fabric. If you haven't snatched this stuff up yet, I suggest you do so! This lovely fabric line is by Bonnie and Camille, and has got to be my favourite since Happy Go Lucky (who am I kidding... this might be my all time favourite!) I actually have some more of this line on it's way. I just couldn't resist. Also, I highly recommend Camille Roskelley's Craftsy classes, Pre-Cut Piecing Made Simple and Playful Piecing Techniques. These are great classes for beginners, since Camille walks you through the steps of making each of the quilt patterns.

Anyway! What am I doing with this lovely fabric? Drumroll please... jelly roll race! Yes! Jelly rolls are my favourite pre-cuts. Seriously. I think they're extremely versatile, and they're a great, affordable way to get all the fabrics from a line you really love. More info and a great video tutorial on the jelly roll race can be found in this video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company:

Ready, set, go!

Chain piecing the strips together...

Still chain piecing those strips together... phew! Done!

Now time for cutting. I cut my first strip at 56", because I wanted to have a quilt that was going to be as square as possible while creating as little waste as possible.

This is what it looked like after I finished cutting all those strips to the same length and sewing them together.

That's it for today! I think I'm going to add a couple borders to this, but I'm still waiting for the rest of my April Showers yardage to arrive. I'm debating how I'm going to quilt this, but I know it's going to get a lot of use so it's going to be a simple, allover design for sure.

Catch you later, and keep on crafting!

Bree

No comments:

Post a Comment