Saturday, April 05, 2014

Quilt For A Friend

I made a bed quilt for my best friend some months ago (and used my scraps to make a matching mini for his shih tzu). I'll be sharing pictures soon, but in the meantime, I wanted to share my progress on the Ribbon Star quilt I'm making for his mother. Because, of course, it wasn't long before she wanted one! I'm flattered, of course, and though I don't normally make quilts for others I absolutely couldn't refuse this one. I used the Ribbon Star block tutorial from Faith at Fresh Lemons, which is a 12.5" block, but it's a fairly simple block and it should be easy to adapt to any size you need. This quilt will finish at 60x60, which is my favourite size for a lap quilt.

I'm using solids from Connecting Threads. The colours I chose are, in order of lightest to darkest value, Lavender, Violet, Red Violet, and Iris. Connecting Threads' fabric is AMAZING quality, and their solids sometimes go on sale for about $3.50/yard so they're great, affordable stash builders.

I know a lot of people have a love/hate relationship with HSTs - I personally love them. They're so incredibly versatile! The trick is not to trim them all at once - trimming an entire quilt's worth of HSTs in one go would make anyone fall out of love.

One finished block out of... twenty-five! I better get sewing. I will share more of this quilt as I progress.

This weekend, I'm linking up with Fort Worth Fabric Studio:

Fort Worth Fabric Studio Blog

Bree

1 comment:

  1. I happen to be obsessed with half square triangles! They are so versatile! I love how your block turned out, and I adore you fabric choices here! Can't wait to see more!

    Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete